Monday, January 31, 2005

The results are in.......

Ok - so I spoke to the doctor:

Volume - Normal
Count - Normal
Viability - 60% - very good (recommended is 50%)
Motility - 45% - slightly low (recommended is 45%)
Morphology- 13% - Low (recommended is 25%)

The nurse practitioner really couldn't tell me anything specific - but she said that none of these numbers were particularly bad - the motility is nothing to worry about since it is right there. The shape (morphology) may not even be a cause for concern since his volume and count are normal - 20,000,000 sperm x 13% normal = 2.6million normal sperm per (well, whatever, insert word here).

She gave me the number of a specialist (I think he is a urologist - but can't be certain) to contact that can interpret these numbers better for us.

I have been doing some research and I cannot find anything that gives a solution to morph problems. (Quite frankly, I don't think it is a big problem since I have been pregnant twice). I asked Nurse Zippy if the morph could be the reason for my miscarriage (a abnormal shaped sperm happened to get in) and she said there was no way to tell.

So....I have to call the insurance company to see who needs to give the referral for Dr. Penis expert.

I am hoping that b/c of the HSG test that my pathways are clear and I get pregnant this month - but you all know that is my hopes right!

The saga continues..............

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Hey Jenn,
I am glad that things came back normal. Are you still going to the Dr on Valentines Day or are you going to hold off on it till a week later.
I really hope this month is you month.
Talk to you later.
Jenna

Ally said...

Well, those numbes seem promising. I wonder what the urologist will be able to tell you. Do yoy have to wait until the 14th to start the Clomid? Why am I asking you here??? I'll probably talk to you in a little while LOL.

Anonymous said...

HI Jenn-
I thought this post might be the best place to respond to your question on my blog. Of course, I don't mind you asking.
The reason why there is such a wide variety of 'Normal' morphology is that there is two different scales to measure it, WHO and Kruger. The WHO is an older; more general evaluation that says normal is around 30-50%. Kruger is the "strict" morphology test. It's a more detailed, rigorous test and 14% is normal.
Sounds like your test was WHO (as is mine). The difference between the 25% your clinic wants to see and the 30% my clinic considers normal, is pretty negligible. Normal can vary from clinic to clinic, and the results can vary a lot too depending on the lab tech, the guys cold he had last week, stress…a lot of things can cause changes. Like I said in my post, my husband’s morphology ranged from 25% to 8%. My doctor says that they start seeing fertilization problems under 15%. His morph is consistently under 15% so there our issue is.
Just because your husband had one bad morphology doesn’t necessarily mean that it will stay that way. I’d get another SA to confirm or refute. That’s what we did. the urologist will be able to tell you better than me.
I noticed your Fertility Friend ticker. They have a good circle for male factor. If you haven’t already looked around in there- I’d recommend it.
Good luck!